I Know a Girl (We All Know a Girl)

By Diana Traykov

I know a girl

My dad once knew

When she was about my age,

No older than 20 –

She died.


Raped and murdered

One evening she was jogging

Running to her death –

She was just a girl.

That’s why my dad can’t sleep till

He knows I’ve returned home safely.


I know a girl 

Who knows a girl

Who knows many girls

(I know them too)

And don’t worry,

None of them died.



They just felt uncomfortable

On the train or bus

Someone kept looking at them

A whole mind-consuming spiral –

Am I imagining it?

Am I egotistical?

Am I overreacting?

An oddly held phone,

Just a coincidence, perhaps.


I know a girl

A girl who was asked to change her clothes

You look like a whore, people would talk. 

A girl who was called a slut

She’s easy.

A girl who was called a virgin

I would love to take away her innocence.


Strong, independent women

GIRLBOSS, BOSS BABE

They’re girls, they’re babes

They’re probably bossy too.


I know a girl.

She knows a girl who knows a girl who knows a girl who knows a girl

We all know a girl.

***

Disclaimer: I use my platform to write whatever is on my mind and my opinions may differ from yours. Whether you agree or disagree with me, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments. However, I would encourage civil discussions so that we can all learn from one another. Thank you!

If you enjoy my work, consider joining my Telegram channel to read short snippets of future works and bonus thoughts on the world around me. Thanks for stopping by!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why the Lucky Girl Syndrome Scares Me

Honest Review: People, Places & Things (Staged by Pangdemonium!)